Today is the day! I’m boarding flight with a few of my dearest friends and we’re heading to Argentina! While I may be 30, this is my first time leaving the country (I mean, besides some cruises to the Bahamas when I was in high school and college) so to say I’m excited is an understatement. While I may not be the most experienced world traveler, I will say that I like to do my homework and be prepared, especially with such a long day of flying. (DC to Miami is 3 hours + 4 hour layover + Miami to Argentina is 9 hours = one long ass day.) I researched just about every site I could find and came up with what I think is the best, most well stocked carry on bag I can have for my long journey. No, this isn’t everything I’ll be bringing with me, but I figured these were some great essentials to get me through the boring/anxiety filled flight. So for the next 8 days if I’m a little slow at replying to your comments on the blog or on social media, you know why. And if you’re up for following along with my big trip, make sure you find me in Instagram and Snapchat (username: poorlilitgirl) to see all the fun! To shop my favorites, just click the product in the collage below to be linked directly for where to shop. Wish me luck!
- Carry-On Luggage – Obviously you’ll need something to hold all this crap. Sure the real essentials will be in my bag under my seat, but some of the things I’m bringing that I may not need at arms reach can be stowed away in the prettiest luggage you ever did see!
- Eye Mask – With a few overnight flights, having an eye mask to get some serious shut eye is going to be key. And if you’re going to look ridiculous wearing an eye mask, might as well go all the way and get one with eyelashes on it!
- Portable iPhone Charger – This is a no brainer. Not only will I want to make sure I’m all charged up during my travel down to Argentina, I’ll want to have this on hand during my trip too!
- Passport Cover – Because passports are so much prettier when they have a pretty cover.
- Concealer – Freshen up right when you get off the plane with hands down the best under eye concealer I’ve ever used!
- Baseball Cap – I don’t imagine my hair is going to look super awesome after a day worth of travel, so why not hide it in a great hat.
- Lip Balm – Who cares if I’m traveling or not, lip balm is always in my bag!
- Hair Ties – In case my hair gets too crazy, or I get too hot.
- T-Shirt – I have a tendency to be a bit clumsy and I the chances of me spilling all over myself mid-turbulence is almost a guarantee. Having an extra shirt to change into will be ideal when that happens!
- Glasses – The thought of wearing my contacts that long stresses me out! Having my glasses with me will be heaven sent for my tired eyes.
- Cleansing Wipes – The air in airplanes is, well…gross. Being able to freshen up even just a little bit on my face will help me not look and feel so worn down.
- Water – Obviously this is something I’ll pick up at the airport, but I never get on a plane without my own bottle of water…for the irrational fear that I may need it, for something.
- Kindle – While I love reading a great book or magazine on a plane, packing all them sounds like my nightmare. Kindle’s make it easy to transport all those great reads with you easily.
- Sanitizing Spray – Spray it on your hands, spray it on the dirty seat back tray…use it!
- Neck Pillow – Whether my flight is 1 hour or 100, a neck pillow is always in my bag! And if I forget to pack one, I always spend the money to buy another one at the airport. I probably own 5 right now.
- Under Eye Masks – Reduce puffiness and get rid of those dark under eye circles in one easy step
- Bra – My biggest fear on this long trip is my luggage getting lost in route to Argentina. With that, packing an extra bra (and underwear) will help me out if I’m in a tight spot and without luggage for a few days.
- Underwear – See #17…same thing.
- Moisturizer – So after you use number 11, make sure you moisturize, too!
- Gum – 15+ hours of travel is bound to leave your breath pretty wicked. Pack some gum, your neighbor will thank you.
- Cardigan – Planes can get cold, so you want to make sure you pack a light layer to keep you warm. Plus if your luggage gets lost (see #17) then at least you have this sweater (and #9) to help you out for an extra day or two.
- Snacks – While airplane food is available, it never quite hits the spot. Bring a few of you favorite snacks with you to help you when meal time comes around.
- Hair Brush – Between the long mid-flight naps on my neck pillow and layovers, sometimes something as simple as brushing your crazy hair can make you feel put together as you get off your flight at your final destination!
Now I do realize I didn’t include a few major essentials on this list – like socks, deodorant (I get serious stress sweats when I fly!), toothbrush/toothpaste, dry shampoo, noise canceling headphones, etc. – but hey, everyone has their own list of carry on requirements so if you have a few things you think I should have added, makes sure you leave me a comment below before I take off tonight!
ALL MY LONG FLIGHT TRAVEL ESSENTIALS: